- Joe McAdams
- Executive Director
- Texas Health Action
- Years as Executive Director
- Though I have been the executive director of THA for less than a year, I bring more than 30 years of experience in Public Health and community engagement to the Texas Health Action mission.
- What does your organization do?
- The Kind Clinic, a program of Texas Health Action, is a sexual health and wellness clinic dedicated to the treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including access to the HIV prevention drugs, PrEP and PEP, HIV and STI testing and treatment, and gender care services. The Kind Clinic strives to provide sexual health services to all members of the LGBTQ community and allies, regardless of race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation.
- How did you become interested in this work?
- Being part of the LGBTQ community in the height of the AIDS epidemic raised my awareness and ignited my passion for the work we do in HIV prevention. Now with PrEP as prevention we don't have to lose anymore loved ones.
- What drives your passion?
- Knowing that we have new tools in sexual health, and being able to provide the services we do, has a huge impact on our patients and the people they love.
- Did you have a mentor or role model?
- My father was always my biggest mentor. He taught me that everyone is deserving of love and belonging no matter their choices. I try to live in that belief professionally and personally every day
- What's the biggest challenge in your work?
- We need more space, and are currently working towards that, but the capacity to meet the need of our community is a challenge. We share a clinic space right now but we are excited to be opening our own clinic later this year. We will be able to treat patients more effectively with same day PrEP services.
- What's the best advice that you have ever received?
- The best advice I have received in my career is to hire passionate people with talents. Encourage them and create paths for them to grow.
- What are your top tips for new Executive Directors?
- • Do your research and follow your passion when meeting the needs of communities you serve.
• Empower staff to be innovative. Permission to fail is an important part of growth and staff development.
• Self-care is important. You have to care of yourself so your staff gets the best of you.
Standish Foundation for Child & Family Centered Healthcare
- OVCT News: General Member Meeting Next Week, Learning Opportunities, & FrameWorks Institute Tips
- OVCT News: Upcoming Special Events, Featured Member, Social Media Tips & Tools
- OVCT News: Update from the Diversity Task Force, Upcoming OVCT Events, and more!
- OVCT News: No General Member Meeting, Featured Member, Upcoming Special Event, and more!
- OVCT News: Upcoming Special Event, Capital Metro Vehicle Grant Opportunity, OVCT Special Event