Mindfulness and Stress Resilience Practices with Geeta Cowlagi
May 6 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Standards of Excellence Committee is pleased to invite you to a mindfulness & resilience session led by Geeta Cowlagi, Certified Mindfulness and Stress Resilience Teacher.
Stress impacts all our lives, but especially in the last couple of years, life has been challenging on several fronts. We have all felt this, directly or indirectly, as we live with personal and collective isolation, trauma, and fear. This has especially been true for the nonprofit sector as we serve the most vulnerable in our community. Leading teams and working with clients who are burned out and stressed adds additional layers to the exhaustion from stress that we all carry. Chronic stress takes a heavy toll on our minds, hearts and bodies and often leads to burnout and significant health issues. Understanding the science of stress helps to transform the depleting and damaging stress cycles into opportunities of growth, connection, and resilience. Mindfulness and compassion tools offer simple ways to change and strengthen the protective neural pathways and begin to heal and thrive again.
This two-hour session will help One Voice Members with:
- Understanding the health and mental health impact of the extraordinary fatigue and burnout of the past years.
- Connecting to disconnection: Deepening the understanding of the neuroscience and physiology of stress to understand why we react the way we do.
- Stress resilience begins with the radical idea of “turning towards” instead of “resisting” stress.
- Cultivating wisdom to choose: Stress reactivity (fight-flight-flee) vs. Stress resilience (calm-connect-attend-befriend).
- Learning to thrive: Learning mindfulness tools to harness stress to create cycles of protection and healing, increase creativity and connection.
When: Friday, May 6 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Who: One Voice Central Texas EDs, CEOs, and Designees
Where: Virtual – Please register here by Friday, April 29. Members must register for this event in order to receive a meeting link.
Cost: This event is free to attend. $10 donations are always welcome. To make a donation, please click here.
More about our speaker: Geeta Cowlagi is a certified Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Teacher from the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s Center for Mindfulness. Prior to teaching Mindfulness for the last decade, Geeta worked at the Counseling and Mental Health Center and taught in the Education Psychology and Social Work departments at UT Austin and is a two-time recipient of the Eyes of Texas award.